Sunday, June 12, 2005

Technorati Tags Script

Celebrating the new Technorati Public Beta and to ease the work accosiated with adding tags, I wrote a tagging script in Javascript, I think it’s in good shape now after a few days worth of tests, just open this page then right click on this link and choose “Add to favorites” for IE users and “Bookmark this link” for Firefox users, then whenever you need to add tags to your post click on the Bookmark and type your tags separated by space (for two words tags you need to group them with +) click OK then it will generate the source code, just copy the code to your post and you’re good to go.

If you encounter any Bugs or have any comment, criticism, or anything else, please feel free to leave a comment or send me an E-mail.

If you feel a bit alien about tagging then read on.

Tags have a rather broad meaning and multiple uses; I will not talk about them here because they’re not the focus of this post, now I’m in the process of writing a long detailed article about Tagging in general, but I’m busy with various things and it’s progressing slowly, check back from time to time.

What are Technorati Tags?
Technorati Tags are simply words that define the subjects tackled by a certain blog post; with tags people can categorize their posts so that other people can find them more easily.

So when somebody is interested in iPod stuff, they keep a watchlist of iPod tag so that they can read any blog that talk about iPods.

For blog Authors Tags are very effective tools in promoting their blogs, since I started using Technorati Tags 1.5 months ago my blog’s traffic had increased by a great deal.

The traffic I get from Technorati Tags account for nearly 30% of my blog’s traffic, and that’s a huge percentage considering the neglectable work of adding Tags.

I urge all my fellow bloggers to tag their posts since its advantage is worth the effort.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger x said...

you know what Baher, I think I'm going to have to use technorati. I still need to read up on it. How long should it take me to get it on my blog? just so I can put away some time for it?

2:48 AM  
Blogger Baher said...

It doesn't require much really, just use the script I wrote with every post from now on and it's only couple of minutes.
If you need anything else I'd be happy to help.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

If you uses Blogger and Firefox you can use a cool Greasemonkey script to add tagging right into the Blogger interface.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Baher said...

I know about Greasemonkey script, but for some reason it's too slow for me, plus I added some functionality I want in my script and they were missing from the greasmonkey script.
I'll try to make a greasemonkey version from my script in the near future.

11:59 AM  
Blogger x said...

walla innak Ba6al ya Baher.
the script works great, I think I'm going to have to add tags to some of my favourite posts now :):(

3:39 AM  
Blogger Baher said...

Thank you Omar, I'm glad it worked for you.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home