Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Is Apple working on a Grand conspiracy against Microsoft?

Usually that type of conspiracy theories comes from me, but this time Jason Calacanis beats me to it, he thinks that Apple is gonna make their OS free, or at least a free light version of the OS.

“Clearly that’s the next big move for Apple. Make the OS free, convert 2-10% of the desktops out there to Mac and make it back on value added services like iTunes, software, and .Mac storage/email. Plus, when folks get addicted to the OS they will crave the slick hardware and the experience of going to the Apple store.”

I don’t think such thing may happen in the near future, but Apple could surprise us as it did with its latest move and to think of it, it could accomplish many important things to Apple:

-Redeem its biggest mistake, not licensing its OS and leaving Microsoft to dominate the market.

-The biggest hit to Microsoft in the history (it’s a good reason on its own).

-Destroy Microsoft dominance of the user-friendly Operating Systems.

-And eventually forcing Microsoft to offer a light version of its OS for free and thus losing one of its most profitable businesses.

-Gaining a huge Entrance into living Room Computers, which is undoubtly the future of computing.

And then people will use Apple products more often to accompany their Media Systems like iTunes, iPods, Video capable iPods later, and whatever Apple chooses to release.

Apple could even open its DRM (Digital Rights Management) to others so that they can use it in addition to Microsoft Solution and not letting Microsoft dominate the market, and many more benefits and opportunities that may arise later.

What will really happen? We should wait and see.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,


5 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

I persoanlly am a HUGE fan of an Apple's Macintosh. I've had my powerbook for about 3 years now. I know I know, it's an antique now... Anyways, I seriously prefer their OS than Windows. For all the time I had it it crashed only once or twice. My Pc is about 2 months old now and I tell ya, even though the guy built it considered it as a M-16 instead of a computer, it still crashes once every day or so.

With the new changes Apple is undergoing I'm hoping it'll make a stronger appearance in the market than it has now. Maybe the strong competition will help the consumer by getting better and cheaper products from both Microsoft and Apple.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Baher said...

Mac OS destroys any other Operating system in all aspects, I wish i can go with Apple but my needs strict me to windows only.
Apple now is working harder than ever and competing directly with Microsoft, and the competition is always good for the market.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I'm glad that Apple is finally changing the few things that I really hoped that'll change... If it has all what windows offers with a much more steady system, guess what I'm getting a power mac once I can actually afford it.

Finally some serious competition which always good for us.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

iam an apple supporter from 90s and transitions till were smooth.Now we were in process of trnsition to OSX with our recently purchased software may go for naught. We may require Steves help as developer may ditch us

9:33 PM  
Blogger Baher said...

Don't worry, transition backages were available to developers with the announcement, and later maybe there'll be emulation tools for old software to work on the new platform.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home