Friday, April 15, 2005

Yahoo! 360, Better late than never

Once I heard about the debut of this new service , I was pretty excited and wanted to try it badly, so I asked the coolest Yahoo Employee Jeremy Zawnodny for an invite and luckily he didn’t turn me down and sent me one right away.
That was 2 weeks ago, unfortunately I didn’t have a chance to play and tinker with it until recently so here’s my already-late review of it.

Everybody knows that is the second most popular portal on the Web (ofcoures the first is Google), so it was surprising that it took so long for Yahoo to enter the market, and nearly all of its competitors were ahead of it, Google’s Blogger.com, MSN Spaces and even Ask Jeeves (through Bloglines.com) but as they say better late than never.

In 360 Yahoo decided to build on MSN Spaces rather than Blogger.com, so it’s better that we refer to this service as “Social Networking” Service rather than a blogging service, because blogging is merely a part of its functions and IMO it’s the lesser part of it, and If you plan to use it mainly as a blogging tool you’ll be disappointed especially seasoned bloggers who demand advanced features and easy customization and that exactly what the service lack, it’s easily the most simple blogging service available in the market, and obviously it is intended for beginners and newbies.

360 is tightly integrated with other Yahoo services like Y! Messenger, Y! Groups and even Y! Music, 360 allows you to import your contacts from Yahoo! Messenger, Yahoo! Address Book and even Microsoft Outlook.

What I most like about Yahoo! 360 is how easy I can share things with friends and other people; you can share your Photos, your Reviews, Music you listen to (through Y! Music), Yahoo! Groups you’re subscribed to, and also you can share your list of Favorites (Movies, Books, Music,…), and you can decide who gets to see any of your things and how private or public to make your lists.

Also 360 allows you to connect to your friends very easily and helps you find new friends, and through your 360 main Page you can see who’s online and who’s not from your group of friends, and you can notify them to certain important things using Blast messages which you can share with all your friends or a specific group of them, and you can even send regular Messages or IM (Instant Messages) to your friends using 360.

In Short Yahoo! 360 in its Beta period is Excellent and pretty comprehensive, it represents a unified platform for all your social interaction needs.
But Yahoo needs to work on improving Blog hosting service and add advanced feature and customization options so that it can attract bloggers.

BTW my page is here: http://360.yahoo.com/l0rddiabl0 but it’s still work in progress.

Like Google, Yahoo chose to offer invites during the Beta period of 360, so unless you recieve an invite you can’t try it, fortunately I have 100 invites remaining, so anyone willing to try this new service drop me a comment with your E-mail in it so that I can send you one.

Grab em while they last.

8 Comments:

Blogger x said...

One think I don't like about blogger.com is that's it's a pain in the ass to post a pic, relativley speaking

2:56 AM  
Blogger Baher said...

Everybody is complaining about this thing (Hello sucks) not only you, I think they'll fix it eventually

9:42 AM  
Blogger Dina said...

Yes, posting pics on Blogger is such a hassle, which is surprising considering all th other great features they offer.
That's very useful information you've given Baher. I first knew about this through one of the arabic blogs so I signed up my name on the waiting list and I'm still waiting for a reply...

10:30 AM  
Blogger Baher said...

Thank you Dina for the kind words, if you want an invite just post your E-mail here or mail it to me and I'm more than happy to give you one.

12:15 AM  
Blogger x said...

Baher, since you seem like a comp expert I was wondering if you knew how I can retrieve, and display my old comments from blogger onto haloscan? is there a way that you know of? Thanks for your help

4:33 AM  
Blogger Baher said...

Haloscan only hides your comments (in favor of using their service)and that means that they're fortunately intact.
Frankly i don't know a way to import blogger comments into haloscan but i'll look it up for you when i have more time, but IMO it's highly unlikely.
but i think there's a way to have your old comments back, you have to take out the bit of code that enables their comments.

If you look carefully, there is a bit of code for haloscan "comments" and "trackbacks", once you get rid of them you'll have your old ones back, and use both blogger(for old comments) and Haloscan(for new ones) on your blog.

Be sure to report back with results.

9:09 AM  
Blogger x said...

your help is greatly appreciated. I tinckered around with the code, but I wasn't getting the desired outcome, i think I was deleting too much or too little. I actually just wanted haloscan for the pop up window, so all was fine when I reallized that blogger supported pop up windows. Once again thanks for your help, and you're correct the comments don't get deleted they are just hidden.

2:42 AM  
Blogger Ghalia said...

Long time no posts Baher?!

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home